Some children are excited when there is a new baby. They want to touch, they want to carry, they want to feed, always with new baby. They throw on their “big brother/sister super hero costume” This is not the case for all toddlers, some just see the new baby as the enemy, it is competition for them, they do not want to touch or share.
Things to do as a parent
- Ensure the older baby that this newer one is a friend and not an enemy.
- Definitely the newer baby would be needing more attention than the older, but do not ignore the older one as this will give him more reasons to be angry at the new one.
- Have a lot of family time, father mother and kids. This will help promote bonding.
- Let the older baby have some of the newer baby’s food (formula).
- Let him/her know that they are equally loved.
- Ask his opinion about what socks to buy for the new baby, or what school he should be enrolled in. get him involved.
Contributed By: Chisom Nwobodo