Sometimes, trying to talk to kids can be like pulling teeth. (Unless, of course, it’s bedtime or you’re trying to have a conversation with someone else on the phone. Then, they suddenly become Chatty Cathys!) Morning can be even tougher. Everyone’s groggy and sometimes grumpy and usually in a hurry.But there’s something to be said for a nice chat over an actual breakfast. Think there’s nothing to talk about in the morning? There are lots of things!
Here are 50 no-fail conversation starters to get both your and your child’s days started on the right note. And remember, you can always keep the conversation going by asking why?
1. Did you have any dreams last night?
2. “I spy with my little eye something that is…”
3. Can you make a smiley face with your breakfast?
4. What’s something that makes you happy?
5. What’s something that makes you sad?
6. What’s something kind you can do for someone today?
7. What’s something kind someone has done for you lately?
8. What are you looking forward to doing at school today?
9. If you could be an animal, what would you be?
10. What’s the silliest thing you’ve ever heard?
11. If you could have a superpower, what would it be?
12. If you were an ice cream cone, what flavor would you be?
13. Who do you think would win in a race: a dog or a cat?
14. What’s your favorite season?
15. Who’s the silliest person you know?
16. Who’s the tallest person you know?
17. What’s your favorite thing to do at the park?
18. What’s your favorite thing to draw?
19. If you were a bird, where would you fly to?
20. If you were a fish, where would you swim to?
21. What’s your favorite book?
22. What’s your favorite toy?
23. Can you name all the kids in your class?
24. If you had a time machine, where would you go?
25. What do you think is the most interesting thing about yourself?
26. What do you want to be when you grow up?
27. What’s your favorite song?
28. What’s your favorite movie?
29. What are you most thankful for?
30. What’s the most fun thing you’ve ever done?
31. Would you rather be able to fly or be invisible?
32. Would you rather be a lion or a tiger?
33. Would you rather be at the beach or in the snow?
34. How many hugs do you like every day?
35. What’s your favorite game?
36. If we were at the grocery store right now, what would you buy?
37. What animal noises can you make?
38. If you had three wishes, what would they be?
39. What are your favorite foods?
40. What foods do you think are yucky?
41. If you had to get rid of one toy, which one would you choose?
42. Who’s your best friend?
43. What do you like most about your best friend?
44. What’s your favorite sound?
45. What sound do you find annoying?
46. What’s your favorite color?
47. What’s your favorite picture that you’ve ever drawn?
48. What do you like doing most as a family?
49. What’s the best surprise you’ve ever had?
50. What are you thinking about right now?