Lice are small, wingless insects which feed on human blood and are very contagious. Usually kids in school get them but it can happen to an adult just as easy. Even though they are not dangerous they can be quite annoying and cause itching and an inflamed scalp. If they’re not eliminated in time the situation can get really bad because they multiply very quickly and can even lead to an infection.
- Olive oil – olive oil suffocates and kills the lice immediately. First you need to comb your kid’s hair to take out the eggs and then massage some olive oil into the scalp. Put on a shower cap and leave the olive oil on during the night.
- Hair dryer – if you use a hair dryer you’ll effectively kill 55% of the lice and 98% of the eggs. Start blowing from the scalp and going through the ends, holding it on small sections of the hair for 15-60 seconds.
- Hot coconut oil – coconut oil is rich in lauric acid which has anti-microbial properties and protects you from secondary infections. It also contains fatty acids which will suffocate the lice. First you need to heat it up in a microwave and then massage your scalp with the warm oil. Leave it on for 30 minutes and then comb your hair to remove the eggs.
- Salt and vinegar – this combination dehydrates and kills the lice. Mix ¼ cup of salt and ¼ cup of warm water and pour the mixture into a spray bottle. Apply the mixture on the hair and scalp and leave it on until the hair is completely dry. Then apply some coconut or olive oil and leave it on for the night. Rinse in the morning.
- Onion – they are rich in Sulphur, a chemical which kills lice. Blend the onion to make a paste, then put it into a sieve, extracting the juice. Massage your scalp with the liquid and cover it with a shower cap for 2 hours at least. Wash your hair with shampoo and dry it with a hair dryer. Repeat this treatment three days is a row and once a month for the next two months.
- Coconut oil and apple cider vinegar – ACV is a powerful remedy against lice. Rinse your child’s hair with ACV and when it dries off apply some coconut oil on your scalp and hair. Put on a shower cap and leave this remedy on for 8 hours minimum. Repeat this treatment once a week for a period of 3 weeks.
- Tea tree oil – mix 20 drops of tea tree oil with 2 tsp of regular shampoo and use the mixture to wash your hair.
- Mayonnaise – this may be the most unusual method but it’s one of the most effective ones for sure. Apply mayonnaise on your child’s hair and massage it into the scalp as well. Put on a shower cap and leave it on through the night. In the morning wash your hair with shampoo and comb the hair to remove any eggs left behind.