A Sydney mother has shared a confronting video of her baby girl struggling to breathe as she battles whooping cough in hospital.
Five-week-old Heidi caught whooping cough after an outbreak at her three-year-old brother’s daycare centre in Macarthur, Kidspot reports.
The video, which mum Sandra Tee posted to Facebook yesterday, shows her husband pressing an oxygen mask to Heidi’s face after she choked and stopped breathing.
“This video may distress some people but I’m sharing to show just how scary and dangerous whooping cough is to babies who are too young to be vaccinated,” Ms Tee wrote.
“The scary symptom for babies is when they don’t cough but silently choke and turn blue/purple from lack of oxygen.”
Ms Tee said she and her husband were taking shifts to watch their baby girl 24/7.
The mother said Heidi only had a slight cough to start with but went downhill rapidly.
“She is still not well but doctors are telling me she’s doing quite well so that is reassuring given the horror stories we have all heard,” Ms Tee told Kidspot.
Ms Tee said her son’s daycare centre did all the right things and even called her to tell her of the outbreak.
Her son had been vaccinated but ended up catching a mild form of the disease.
Ms Tee said she was sharing the video to warn others of the dangers of not vaccinating against whooping cough.