Pregnant or breastfeeding? This Is How Much Water You Really Should Be Drinking Pregnant or breastfeeding? This Is How Much Water You Really Should Be Drinking
You’ve heard it countless times before: “drink eight glasses of water a day” or around around two litres of water. But just how strictly... Pregnant or breastfeeding? This Is How Much Water You Really Should Be Drinking

You’ve heard it countless times before: “drink eight glasses of water a day” or around around two litres of water. But just how strictly should this be followed?

In truth, there really aren’t any hard scientific evidence to support the “8 glasses of water” rule; it’s not a one-size-fits-all situation. The amount of water you drink is dependent on several other factors, like how active you are, for starters.

Our bodies are made up of 60 percent water. To give it more gravity, every system in the human body needs water to function, from carrying nutrients to cells, flushing out toxins and keeping tissues in top shape. It’s so vital for the body to function well that even mild dehydration can drain you of energy and make you feel sluggish.

But there is such a thing as overhydration. “Saying that you should drink more water than your body asks for is like saying that you should consciously breathe more often than you feel like because if a little oxygen is good for you then more must be better,” says Dr. Chris van Tulleken in an article for BBC News where he is also a regular presenter.

“Contrary to many stories you may hear, there’s no real scientific proof that, for otherwise healthy people, drinking extra water has any health benefits,” says Aaron E. Carroll, professor of pediatrics and assistant dean for research mentoring at Indiana University School of Medicine, in an article for The New York Times.

So, how much water should you drink? For most individuals, the Institute of Medicine recommends 13 cups (3 liters) of total beverages a day for men and 9 cups (2.2 liters) for women. Keep in mind that “beverages” don’t just pertain to water; juices, tea, coffee and the like count, too.

“In general, you should try to drink between half an ounce and an ounce of water for each pound you weigh, every day,” Trent Nessler, PT, DPT, MPT, managing director of Baptist Sports Medicine in Nashville, told WebMD.

The recommendations above, however, are not set in stone. If you’re pregnant or breastfeeding for example, you may need to drink more. Modify your daily intake of water depending on these factors:

Pregnant or breastfeeding Many changes happen to a woman’s body when she’s pregnant or breastfeeding. Because of this, pregnant and breastfeeding women need additional fluids to stay hydrated. The Institute of Medicine recommends that pregnant women drink 10 cups (2.3 liters) of fluids daily and breastfeeding women drink 13 cups (13.1 liters) of fluids a day.

Exercise You lose water every day through your breath, urine, bowel movements and perspiration. People who engage in any activity that makes them sweat should especially make it a point to replenish the water they lose by drinking more. For those engaging in intense exercises, sports drinks that contain sodium are best.

Environment One way the body regulates body temperature is by perspiring. Hot and humid weather can make you sweat more requiring more fluid intake. In the Philippines, heat stroke and dehydration is a serious concern during the summer months. It’s especially a threat to young children and the elderly. Don’t forget to drink more water during the summer season and remind those around you to do so as well.

Illnesses Fever, vomiting and diarrhea can cause additional fluid loss. Certain illnesses and health conditions also require additional fluid intake like bladder infections and urinary tract stones. Kidney, liver and adrenal diseases, on the other hand, may require less fluid intake.

What it boils down to is following your thirst instinct, says Dr. David Perlow, a urologist. Afterall, your body knows best.

• Romesha Clark

October 10, 2016 #1 Author

I use to drink about 3 bottles of water a day and I had a hard time producing milk. Finally I started drinking 4/5 and lots of Gatorade daily and now I can pump more than 11oz every fill up.

• Jalynn J

October 10, 2016 #2 Author

I have found that the more water you drink the higher your milk supply will be and also if you have a breast pump, pump on one breast while baby eats off the other helps as well!

• Ivy

October 10, 2016 #3 Author

i think you should drink the 8 glasses so the baby could be healthy

• Angel

October 10, 2016 #4 Author

Great article!

• Brandy Robinson

October 10, 2016 #5 Author

Should of finish breastfeeding instead I quited

• Big bobby

October 11, 2016 #6 Author

It’s good

• Keith

October 11, 2016 #7 Author

Good article

• Raven Woodson

October 11, 2016 #8 Author

Yes the more water u drink the more milk u have. Cause I pump 8oz every time

• Monica Galloway

October 11, 2016 #9 Author

Good article

• Gracia Gaston

October 11, 2016 #10 Author

I don’t think it matters how much water you drink. I’ve breast fed one child & im currently breastfeeding another. With my first child I donated 500 oz of extra milk. Now with my son, I have 1 deep freezer almost full of store milk & he’s only 2 months old. Although I drink plenty of fluids, I’ve found what works best is feeding and pumping at least 5x a day. Every time you want to make sure your breast is as empty as possible. Your body need to know to make more milk & the best signal is empty breast. I hope this helps😘

• Keesha

October 11, 2016 #11 Author

I breastfeed, all I kept hearing was drink 8 glasses of WATER not once has anyone told me that juice or other beverages count! Great article!

• Torkeshea

October 11, 2016 #12 Author

I wasn’t drinking much water when I was breastfeeding witch is probably why I couldn’t pump more than a couple ounces at a time

• Torkeshea

October 11, 2016 #13 Author

I didn’t drink much water when I was breastfeeding witch is probably why I couldn’t pump more than 2 ounces

• Malanea S Goudy

October 11, 2016 #14 Author

Never got the chance to really breast feed try it with my first child n it hurt but I personally only drink water everyday all day

• Paulina Ofori

October 11, 2016 #15 Author

The Ghanaian community advocates poridged rice and lots of milk. That porridge has enormous amount of water and it helps you lose weight while helping you produce abundant milk for the infant.

• pearl Alvarez

October 11, 2016 #16 Author

I use to drink 10 cups of water a day while breastfeeding. It is very important to drink your water so that you can develop a lot of breast milk.

• Tasha jackson

October 12, 2016 #17 Author

Great idea

• Averie Smith

October 12, 2016 #18 Author

Great article I started drinking more water daily haven’t quite got at 8 glasses per day yet tho, but the more water intake the more active I am! I’ve found myself to be more energized. Great read👌🏾

• Tiffany

October 12, 2016 #19 Author

This is so true the more water you drink the more milk u produce but for some reason when I was breastfeeding I hardly use to drink water but use to still produce a lot of milk but it stop coming when my baby was 6 months now I am wondering if I should of drink more water hmmmm.

• Quaneera

October 12, 2016 #20 Author

Good info didn’t know this actually. Thought it was 8 glasses.

• Aubrey

October 12, 2016 #21 Author

Very interesting because some women crave certain drinks & don’t realize this .

• Renee Jones

October 14, 2016 #22 Author

When i was early in my pregnancy for some reason my body would not take water i would throw up all day everyday. But water is very important and as i passed my first trimester i was drinking more and more water a day. When i hit 7 ta 8 months water was my bestfriend and once i had my princess i made sure i at least had 8 glasses a day so i wont be so dehydrated because i was breast-feeding the first few months.

• Elizabeth Smiley

October 14, 2016 #23 Author

Yes it’s true the more water you drink the higher your milk supply will be. Also mother’s milk tea is also a booster!

• Precious

October 14, 2016 #24 Author

This is one of the most educative posts I have come across online. Thumbs up!!