Why you should NEVER feed your baby water – and how it could be fatal if you do Why you should NEVER feed your baby water – and how it could be fatal if you do
Whether you’re expecting or in those early, blurry first days of parenthood, you will have most likely come across a wealth of baby-related information.... Why you should NEVER feed your baby water – and how it could be fatal if you do

Feeding babies, weaning babies, sleep-training your baby, all those milestones, all the things to avoid, all the individual expert opinions.

Now a new risk has been highlighted – and it concerns giving your baby water.

Water may seem like a harmless (healthy, even) drink. After all, the importance of adults drinking enough is well known and frequently broadcast.

But consumed by infants, it could cause water intoxication, which in turn can lead to seizures, and being in a coma – it can even prove to be fatal.

So what is and isn’t advised when it comes to giving our babies water?

Do they actually need it?

The general consensus is babies should only be given milk until they’re at least six months old, after which a sip of water here and there has been deemed safe.

However, as Katie Zeratsky, a dietitian at the Mayo Clinic told Buzzfeed, up until the age of one, babies can live without water.

This, she explains, is because “they get all of their fluid needs through human milk or infant formula. Even on a hot day they can get all of their hydration needs through human milk or formula.”

As a rule, NOT giving your baby water is particularly important to adhere to before they’re six months old. Breastmilk or formula only.

Why is it dangerous?

Parents are advised against giving babies water because of the breastmilk and formula contain the nutrients they need, such as protein, vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates and fat.

feeding-water

By filling up on water, they miss out on the vital nutrition components they need to grow.

For this reason, it’s important to mix formula correctly.

And babies grow rapidly, meaning their needs, energy-wise, are much higher then ours. Water cannot fulfil these needs, though it will fill up your baby.

Can water intoxication prove to be fatal?

Yes, is the answer to this according to Katie.

feeding-water1

“Water intoxication is where you consume too much water in a short period of time and your blood level of sodium drops…making a tragic situation,” she tells Buzzfeed.

“In the adult world, you would have to push yourself past thirst and regulation to a point where you almost have to force intake.

“In terms of a baby, in most cases they would get too full to do this, so it would be more challenging to create this situation in an infant. It’s not impossible, though.”

Obinna Onyia

• Taylor

November 15, 2016 #1 Author

Water is super thin. Babies should never drink it unless it’s just a little bit.

• Frieda

November 15, 2016 #2 Author

However, according to the assistants of Garcinia Cambogia, it’sn’t required to change the way you Dwell.

• Jakila Robinson

November 16, 2016 #3 Author

This was a very helpful article, i actually gave my bby some water but after reading this i nvr will do that again !!

• T’ayajae

November 16, 2016 #4 Author

Me either! That’s so scary, I give my baby water in her bottles after she eats her transitional meals! She’ll be 9months on the 29th.

• garcinia cambogia extract

November 16, 2016 #5 Author

There is a blend of about 100 Mg/pill including Magnolia
    bark extract and Amur corktree bark extract.

• Mikeshia Robinson

November 16, 2016 #6 Author

oh my goodness i didn’t know that 😱

• Celinda

November 16, 2016 #7 Author

Having said that, we cannot deny that this fruit has some amazing properties as much as weight
    reduction is worried.

• Renaldo

November 17, 2016 #8 Author

The distinction among semi-automatic and super-automatic espresso machines isn’t which
      1 is much better than the other, but rather which one is much better for you.

• Debbie Amy

November 16, 2016 #9 Author

Yes, agreed because my baby’s doctor told me not to give him any water or else he’ll get a seizure. Definitely not doing it anytime soon.

• Alicia Lee

November 16, 2016 #10 Author

This article is super helpful thanks:)

• Shanice Lewis

November 16, 2016 #11 Author

Definitely useful information!

• Rosemary

November 16, 2016 #12 Author

My baby cannot do without water…infact she prefers to drink water than to eat. What can I do?

• Aaliyah P

November 16, 2016 #13 Author

My daughter loves water!! She would never drink her formula, and always wanted water instead. This has really opened my eyes and made me more aware for the moms that don’t know this information! I will definitely be spreading your site

• garcinia cambogia dr oz show

November 16, 2016 #14 Author

Body builders adore Garcinia Cambogia HCA for
    its fat burning properties, which help ensure that all
    the thin muscle mass they’re putting on is not covered up with
    layers of fat, notably in the midsection.

• Bertie

November 16, 2016 #15 Author

Every helping of Genesis Today’s Garcinia Cambogia is standardized to include 60% hydroxycitric acid (HCA)† extracted from the
    rind of the fruit.

• Candace Day

November 16, 2016 #16 Author

I never heard this before , but I may say it’s very helpful. Especially since I have a new born.

• Keekee

November 16, 2016 #17 Author

Doctor told me it’s ok to give my infant a few sips because she has thrush on her tongue

• Scarlette Wimberly

November 16, 2016 #18 Author

Great article with helpful information..we never give our grandson water..

• Cheyenne

November 16, 2016 #19 Author

I think many people need to realize, this includes juice! Any liquid other than formula or breastmilk shouldn’t be given until after 6 months, and after that only 1-2 oz every now and then.

• Alexis Bryant

November 16, 2016 #20 Author

I Never Knew Babies Couldnt Drink Water .. Wow Learn Something New Everyday

• hailey

November 16, 2016 #21 Author

this article is very informative. I def didn’t know some of this information.

• Susan Jose

November 16, 2016 #22 Author

It’s helpful.. My question is… What if he has constipation?

• Sabrenia little

November 16, 2016 #23 Author

Wow I never knew ! I gave both of my kids a little water in their bottles so they wouldn’t get constipated.

• Arlene Garcia

November 16, 2016 #24 Author

I’ve read the same thing regarding water. I agree with the article, but am here to offer an alternative. My daughter was very colicky, hence other mothers and my doctor told me to give her no more than 1 to 2 ounces to get things moving (digestive system). I know some will cringe at this but it did help my daughter and the amount was miniscule thus not interfering with needed calories and not enough to to cause water intoxication. I was very hesitant initially but due to the colic I had no other choice but to try it.

• Daphne Bernadotte

November 16, 2016 #25 Author

My baby is 3 months and my pediatrician said the nay needs all his calories from his breast milk or formula. He will be malnourished if i give him water begore he is 6 months. But i know other pediatricians who tell parents to give baby an ounce of water if have problems of constipation.

• Andrew Dorko

November 17, 2016 #26 Author

Pretty! This was a really wonderful post. Thanks for providing these details.

• Robbie

November 17, 2016 #27 Author

Didn’t know this actually learned something I can pass this to my niece she just had a baby..

• Nancie wambui muthee

November 17, 2016 #28 Author

i always get to learn alot from you..i used to give my son lots of water when he doesn’t want to breastfeed…at least now I know how to take care of him…and its because of u…thanks very much…I have learnt a lot of things from this article

• Raymon

November 18, 2016 #29 Author

Hello there I am so glad I found your web site,
    I really found you by mistake, while I was looking on Bing for something else, Regardless I am here now and would just like
    to say thanks for a tremendous post and a all round enjoyable blog (I also love the theme/design),
    I don’t have time to look over it all at the minute but I have bookmarked it and also included your RSS
    feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a great
    deal more, Please do keep up the fantastic work.

• Star

November 22, 2016 #30 Author

Somebody essentially help to make seriously articles I
    might state. That is the first time I frequented your web page and to this point?
    I amazed with the analysis you made to make this particular
    publish extraordinary. Great job!