When your babies miss their milestones When your babies miss their milestones
Babies grow at different rates. They’re all wonderful little creatures who do things in their own time. Some parents take a lot of joy... When your babies miss their milestones

Some parents take a lot of joy from encouraging their wee ones to learn new skills and are filled with pride when their offspring are ahead of their peers in their development.

The internet is brimming with milestone calendars telling us when babies should have gained certain abilities, such as crawling and walking. Although they can be an interesting read, more often they cause a lot of unnecessary worry.

I have twins, and my daily goal is survival. I don’t really have time to focus on what my children should be able to do at a certain age. But even still, I’m not immune to being a bit concerned sometimes.

My girls were born almost six weeks early, weighing only about 1.8kgs each. In the 11 months since then, they’re now heavier than pretty much all others their age and are big, healthy 97 percentile babies.

While most babies start to crawl somewhere between 6 and 10 months old, my daughters tend to sit like little buddhas smack bang in the middle of the playmat. Babies literally half their size crawl nimbly around them. They have officially missed the milestone boat.

I really appreciated them just sitting there happily, and not crawling early has made my life much easier. But now that they’re approaching their first birthday it’s hard to not to start worrying a bit.

OTHER PARENTS CAN BE THE WORST

It’s the worst when other parents think they have to offer their opinion, and ask things like “How old are your daughters?” “Eleven months? Why aren’t they crawling yet? My son/daughter was pretty much running marathons at that age”.

I’d like to counter with something like: “Because they’re super smart and have figured out there aren’t any benefits in early crawling if you have a sister for entertainment and a mum who caters to my needs”. But I just end up mumbling something like “Premmie twins, I don’t know… they’ll get there.”

I guess the truth is that they always hated tummy time and that it’s a damn sight harder to move 11 kilos off the ground than it is to move 7. But most importantly, I have to remind myself that it doesn’t matter.

Children learn best when they can develop at their own pace, and almost all children learn to walk eventually.

STOP COMPARING

Raising children shouldn’t feel like a competition, with parents pitted against each other, trying to ace each other with the smartest and fastest baby. It’s only natural to be proud of our children’s progress. We all want to make sure that they’re thriving and that there’s nothing preventing their development.

But sometimes we have to step back and let them do their thing. Stop comparing, stop commenting on other children, and stop worrying so much.

If you’re really concerned though, get in touch with your early childhood nurse or GP. There are cases when something more serious can cause developmental delays or where an occupational therapist can help.

I’m sure my two bonny lasses will start crawling soon, and once they’re on the move I’ll miss the times when I could put them down on the floor while I went to the toilet knowing that they would be exactly where I left them.
Source: essentialbaby

• Natalie

2017-01-23 #1 Author

100% agree! Each child learns at their own pace ?

• Natalie

2017-01-23 #2 Author

100% agree! Each child learns at different paces.

• Nina

2017-01-23 #3 Author

I love you guys advice. I def will use this with my son

• Aurellia

2017-01-24 #4 Author

The hardest things as parents is to stop worrying because every child is different!

• Amber

2017-01-24 #5 Author

Your advice really helps a lot

• Greennations

2017-01-24 #6 Author

Wow beautiful kids from God

• Joseph

2017-01-24 #7 Author

My son I wouldn’t say missed any milestones he jus takes his time to get to them lol

• Tireco

2017-01-24 #8 Author

I agree 100%! Great Advice

• Will

2017-01-25 #9 Author

I agree and disagree… I agree that children learn at their own pace but I also disagree that you should let your child mis milestones. One thing I learned is that it’s more than teaching your child things. You have to literally teach yourself things as well, and mostly it’s self discipline. Yeah it’s not easy seeing your child hate tummy time but remember it’s New to them and they will eventually get used to it and won’t miss their milestone. Humans react on how they were raised and which enviorment they were raised in. So do your best for your child, not best for your feelings.

• Adeyemi Toluwalope

2017-01-25 #10 Author

All kids are different. My son crawl @ 11month and walk @18month. My daughter just start crawling @ 12month and am not bothered. Love this article

• Whisper Simmons

2017-01-25 #11 Author

Thanks so much great information & every child does grow at their on pace and terms for sure!

• Shiner

2017-01-26 #12 Author

Thanks for the great advice

• TIA Williamson

2017-01-27 #13 Author

Really good advice

• Mira odeh

2017-01-27 #14 Author

So cute , sent from heaven I wish I’ll be having twin like them

• Shanny

2017-01-27 #15 Author

I agree 100% ! Thanks for the advice

• Gabbie

2017-01-27 #16 Author

Great advice beautiful babies

• Jessica Stuart

2017-01-27 #17 Author

Every child is different and will reach their milestones when THEY are ready!! You can’t rush a baby, they do it on their own!

• Teshirah

2017-01-28 #18 Author

My baby barely rolls but she sits up once she fall she can’t get back up and she is scooting

• Alayna

2017-01-28 #19 Author

I agree my 8 month nephew is already walking and my son is 11 month is only walking around things.!

• Christine See Go

2017-01-29 #20 Author

This article is inspiring. My baby isnt laughing that much yet, and it is heartbreaking when she is compared to other babies who giggle a lot. I guess babies develop at their own pace, and there is no need to constantly compare their development w/ others, just as everone of us is unique 🙂

• Jessyca Thornton

2017-01-30 #21 Author

This is wonderful advice. Children learn things at different ages and a lot of things affect that. Whether your child moves as quickly as another child is not something that should discourage a parent. Kids are different , just like adults. They learn at their own pace and all they need is support and love from their parents, not stress or discouragement.

• Andrea

2017-01-30 #22 Author

I also have twins! And they did the same exact thing. They were premie,born at 35 weeks. It’s milestones they they haven’t quite met either. Like talking clearly,they are almost 3 and they still babble sometimes. Meanwhile it’s 1yrs olds that can have a conversation with me. But I feel like they will get there when they get there. I used to stress myself out but not anymore. They are growing perfect to me

• Shantika bailey

2017-01-30 #23 Author

I totally agree with this article , being that I am a Early Childhood Educator. Even though these milestones are set in place, every child will grow , and learn at their own individual speed. Every child is unique and different, no two of us are exactly the same. Give your child time to catch up before thinking something is developmentally wrong.

• ShaDariel

2017-02-03 #24 Author

I totally agree , Awesome advice something I’m going to try with my first daughter.

• Olga

2017-01-30 #25 Author

Each baby is different some take more to work with than others.

• Maria Avalos

2017-01-31 #26 Author

I agree I was scared about my daughter not walking because she was having learning issues due to her seizures but by 12 months my beautiful baby girl was walking

• Tanisha .

2017-02-02 #27 Author

This article is 100 % accurate . Children do things at their own pace . Too much comparing to other children will have you overwhelmed. Great Article

• Rubí R

2017-02-03 #28 Author

Great advice beautiful babies

• Alyssa Sampson

2017-02-03 #29 Author

I agree with this. As long as I see a smile on my babies face I’m a happy momma

• Tashara Thomas

2017-02-04 #30 Author

I Feel Like My Baby is Behind in a lot but just like this article says all baby milestones are different and some babies learn slower than others and other people tell me this as well… Maybe I shouldn’t worry to much about her being behind or what Step she’s on after reading this make me not feel bad about it after all 😌😊

• itzdaviesenuk21

2017-02-09 #31 Author

I agree with this

• Daja Monae

2017-02-14 #32 Author

I couldn’t agree more! I found myself comparing my baby to others in terms of milestones quite often. But I have learned to just sit back, enjoy our time, and let her develop at her pace. It’s amazing how fast they learn and begin to do things on their own!