This Mom’s Abundant Milk Supply Nearly Choked Her Baby to Death This Mom’s Abundant Milk Supply Nearly Choked Her Baby to Death
A new mom got the scare of her life when her infant son choked on breastmilk while breastfeeding. Her sweet baby is okay now,... This Mom’s Abundant Milk Supply Nearly Choked Her Baby to Death

A new mom got the scare of her life when her infant son choked on breastmilk while breastfeeding. Her sweet baby is okay now, but she’s raising awareness so this doesn’t happen to other moms.

On the Facebook page Breastfeeding Mama Talk, Rebecca Taylor shared her scary experience feeding her son.

“Scariest day of my life by far.”

Taylor was breastfeeding her infant son when she noticed he was having a hard time catching his breath. He was soon limp and turning blue, prompting her to call 911. After being rushed to the emergency room in an ambulance, her “teeny tiny new baby was hooked up to an oxygen mask with all sorts of tubes and codes being called out.”

Luckily for Taylor, her son was soon okay, but the situation left her shaken. “I breastfed my daughter for 18 months & nothing like his ever happened to us,” she wrote on Facebook. “I was told by a lactation consultant that I have a strong let down and maybe an oversupply and maybe I should be feeding him laying down or to push down on my breast to stop the flow.” She was also stunned to find out that this wasn’t a freak accident, and that babies choking on breastmilk is actually fairly common.

The commenters on Breastfeeding Mama Talk had a lot of helpful hints for Taylor and other moms like her. One mom suggested she see a speech pathologist who specializes in infant feeding to have her son evaluated. Sometimes these things can be corrected with positioning, but other times it’s an issue with the baby. Another mom recommended block feeding — the practice of restricting the baby to one breast for three-hour or longer blocks of time — to help signal to the body to produce less milk. Another popular tip was laid-back nursing, where the baby lays on top of the mom to nurse.

So glad Taylor’s baby is okay!

(Image: Facebook / Breastfeeding Mama Talk)

• Baby olivia

2017-06-14 #1 Author

Babies are beautiful

• Erializ reyes

2017-06-14 #2 Author

Wow. I breastfeed and thank god nothing have happened like that to me. But I will make sure my friends and family will be aware of this !.

• Emmanuella David ofuru

2017-06-14 #3 Author

Thank God notin bad happened…it also happened to my first child,immediately I noticed she was unable to breath I quickly ran out side for help but incase sumtin like dis occurs again jst put ur hand on d baby’s back rub it down ward and secondly jst keep blowing breeze on d baby’s head ,I mean d spot on d head dat is still breathing with ur mouth …sumtimes we Africa expecially Nigerian those from d south south normally do this….

• Ronnie Brown

2017-06-14 #4 Author

• Ronnie Brown

2017-06-14 #5 Author

Not so surprised it also happened to me with my daughter, not as severe. If it happened. Scariest thing ever.

• Cassie

2017-06-14 #6 Author

On my third pregnancy, my supply was so great that my daughter would start choking and coughing because she was getting too much milk. I did figure out that applying pressure and laying down while nursing helped! It’s crazy to think that something worse could’ve happened!

• Melissa tripp

2017-06-14 #7 Author

How do i send y’all pictures of my daughter chloe tripp never know how to do it really trying hard on it

• Joy

2017-06-14 #8 Author

This was happening to my son every time he fed. I could feel the milk flowing out but he would unlatch and it would just go everywhere. Now I just press down on my breast to get it to flow better. Glad to hear that her baby’s OK now.

• Jerica

2017-06-15 #9 Author

THANK God……The baby is fine him & also the mother

• Tanisha

2017-06-14 #10 Author

Wow I never breastfeed before

• Adrianna Hardin

2017-06-14 #11 Author

I breastfed my baby and the same thing used to happen to her, I’m thankfully it wasn’t ever severe though.

• Ipeleng

2017-06-14 #12 Author

Wow same thing happened to me when my baby girl was 3 months…It’s scary but am glad your boy did manage to survive…
    But it’s good to have too much milk and bad at the same time….

• Toya

2017-06-14 #13 Author

Babies are beautiful

• Jessica

2017-06-14 #14 Author

Wow glad little one is okay. She has and over supply and I could hardly breastfeed!!

• Prasad Achary

2017-06-14 #15 Author

My daughter first 2 month this was happening in every time but rt now she is well adequate to take breast milk. All new parents should know about the SIDS (Sudden infant death syndrome).

• Latorya Russell

2017-06-14 #16 Author

When i tried to breastfeed my daughter she didnt latched on good…and milk was everywhere 😂😂😂

• Zanasha campbell

2017-06-14 #17 Author

Wow, thats really scarey, I have to breast feed my son, who was born a month and 20 days early, luckly he doesnt latch on to my breast, so i have to pump, which i find to be much easier for me, due to the fact that he’s premie.

• Leann Adkins

2017-06-14 #18 Author

Oh my gosh, this is so scary!!! Thank god the baby is okay!!!

• Crystal

2017-06-14 #19 Author

I’ve never heard of this happening before. My son didn’t get enough breast milk so I had to formula feed. But it’s a blessing that the little baby is alright 🙏🙏

• Lavashney Hunt

2017-06-14 #20 Author

This happen to me while I was feeding my baby so I know how you felt. It scared me to death.

• Jessica

2017-06-15 #21 Author

This is scary I still breast feed my 7 month old & now I know to be aware of this so it won’t happen to my baby

• Bri

2017-06-15 #22 Author

This as happened to me she didn’t pass out but the little munchkin is choking and still wouldn’t let go 😂

• Kiana Avery

2017-06-19 #23 Author

Glad Your Baby Is Okay.

• Jasmine

2017-06-25 #24 Author

I breastfed my baby and he did the same thing but it was awhile after i fed him…im not sure if it was because of that or not…we spent over a week in the hospital and they told me everything was normal

• monifah

2017-06-25 #25 Author

My let down is ridiculously slow, due to having flat nipples, I only pump my milk then bottle feed