Two-year-old girl dies from E.coli poisoning after family Turkey holiday

Svg+xml;charset=utf 8,%3Csvg Xmlns%3D'http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3

A two-year-old girl died after contracting E. coli on a dream holiday to Turkey leaving her family piecing their lives back together.

“Princess” Allie Birchall suddenly became ill after returning from their summer trip.

She is believed she contracted the bacterial infection on the break, the Manchester Evening News reports.

The child and her family, from from Atherton, near Wigan, had visited an all-inclusive with her family on July 23, 2019, an inquest at Manchester Coroner’s Court heard last month.

By July 27, she had become ill with stomach cramps, diarrhoea and vomiting.

Svg+xml;charset=utf 8,%3Csvg Xmlns%3D'http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3
It was found that Allie had contracted E. coli on the trip
Svg+xml;charset=utf 8,%3Csvg Xmlns%3D'http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3
Allie’s mum Katie, 36, has moved to warn other parents ( Image: SWNS)

Just 11 days later, Allie had deteriorated so much that doctors were unable to save her.

“Allie was found to have a unique strain of Escherichia coli (E. coli) which must have originated in Turkey but it is not possible to say how Allie acquired it,” the coroner has concluded.

Doctors were concerned that Allie was suffering from Haemolytic Uraemic Syndrome caused by Shiga[-Toxin] producing Escherichia coli, the coroner found.

Haemolytic Uraemic Syndrome is a potentially fatal blood condition linked to Shiga-Toxin E. coli which can lead to kidney failure and brain damage.

As she was diagnosed with both illnesses and worsened, medics decided Allie needed to be transferred to Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital for more supportive treatment, including dialysis, the inquest heard.

Svg+xml;charset=utf 8,%3Csvg Xmlns%3D'http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3
The girl was admitted to hospital with stomach cramps, bloody diarrhoea and lethargy ( Image: SWNS)
Svg+xml;charset=utf 8,%3Csvg Xmlns%3D'http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3
The mum is determined that no other families go through what they did ( Image: SWNS)

Allie was placed into an induced coma on August 1 and her family made the heart-wrenching decision to terminate her life support two days later, after an MRI scan revealed she had suffered brain damage, they told the inquest.

After almost three years of waiting for answers about what happened to their little girl, the family hopes others might be saved their suffering as they watched Allie be ‘snatched away in the cruellest way possible’.

Allie’s mum Katie, 36, said: “Losing our little Allie so tragically and suddenly was heartbreaking for us all, and it’s still incredibly difficult to think we’ll never see her again.

“When she was admitted to hospital, we were all praying she would pull through. To be told she had suffered brain damage was absolutely devastating.

Svg+xml;charset=utf 8,%3Csvg Xmlns%3D'http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3
The inquest into her death was heard last month ( Image: SWNS)

“The whole experience has been nothing short of traumatic and we have lost a huge part of our lives. Allie had her whole life ahead of her before it was snatched away in the cruellest way possible. Her death is something we’ll never get over.

“Sadly nothing can turn back the clock and bring our princess back to us, but we’re grateful that the inquest is over and we at least have some answers. All we can hope for now is that others don’t have to suffer like our family has.”

The coroner found little Allie’s medical cause of death to be encephalopathy (brain swelling) and other complications associated with Haemolytic Uraemic Syndrome, brought on by Shiga-Toxin producing Escherichia coli (E. coli) infection.

What do you think?

Written by Henry Okafor

Svg+xml;charset=utf 8,%3Csvg Xmlns%3D'http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3

Mum risked life to save unborn baby after sinister black mass spotted beside baby on 12-week scan

Svg+xml;charset=utf 8,%3Csvg Xmlns%3D'http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3

Mum-of-22 admits life is ‘hard’ taking care of kids after millionaire husband’s arrest